Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Family Heirlooms

After years of my siblings and me calling our mom every few weeks for recipes, my mother created each of us our own copy of "Mom's Favorite Recipes." The beautiful, handmade recipe book is comprised of many of her favorite recipes, which we all grew up on. 

Photobucket
She also included recipes from our grandparents and great-grandparents-many of the recipe cards are copies of the originals-my grandmothers' handwriting and splattered food stains portray the love and joy they poured into the recipes.  Mingled among the recipes are pictures of many of our family members enjoying meals or cooking together. My Uncle with his long 60s hair, turning the ice cream maker; my grandmother cooking on a campfire many years ago; and many of my brother, sister, and me-making cut-out cookies, decorating gingerbread houses, wrapped in aprons, and covered in flour.  For some reason, when I rely on that cookbook, I never feel alone in the kitchen.

At my wedding shower my sister presented me with a cookbook full of recipes from all of the shower guests. She even made personalized recipe cards for the occasion. The book is beautiful and I treasure the recipes and the memories of that day. 

Photobucket

One of my favorite activities is to read through my cookbook collection, especially the cookbooks that were made for me. However, I don't think I've even tried to make half of the family recipes. Well it is time to change that! I'll share my successes and since I'm no Martha-disasters right here. 


Photobucket

No comments: